1. Make sure you are using the lowest power objective lens (that would be the shortest one)
2. Use only the Coarse Adjustment (large knob)
3. Raise the stage until it almost touches the lens
4. Center the object in the middle of the circle of light (use your hands to move the object around)
5. Use the Coarse adjustment knob to lower the stage until the object is in focus
** If you cannot find the object or focus on the first try then repeat steps 1-5.
*** After you complete steps 1-5 with an object in focus then you may use a high power objective
DO NOT USE THE COARSE ADJUSTMENT KNOB WITH HIGH POWER OBJECTIVES!!!